Wednesday, February 05, 2014

What is Blue and Orange and Reminds Me of Summer?


I think I have actually finished a "real" painting that's been in the works for a while.  The process I used for it does actually have something to do with the painting I'm posting today.  This larger WIP was rather involved - what started out as a challenge of sorts with fellow artist/photographer Renee Fukumoto, sort of dissolved into something far away from the intended task....but I'm getting sidetracked.  All that is for another post.

You may recognize the fellow to the right.  There is a story behind Kim Santini presenting me with the plush Smurf toy in Saratoga a few years ago, but that's one of those inside jokes I sadly can't share here, haha.  It has morphed into the emergence of Spa Smurf, who has his own Facebook page....something for you to peruse one day when you're looking for avoidance tactics.

I've been meaning to paint Smurf for a while now, inspired by Kim's paintings of various toys and dolls (if you don't get distracted by the animals, have a look at them on her site). While my palette is a lot stingier than Kim's, the simple use of Cadmium orange for the ground does the trick to provide some punch.  I'm going to save discussing complimentary colours until I post the "challenge" painting...but that's what I'm making use of here.  Yes, it was actually intentional!  Sometimes I do pretend to know what I'm doing.  ;-) Our blue friend is 10 x 8 oil on canvas. 




No comments: