Monday, June 30, 2014

Hope Springs Eternal...

My first daily painting, an 8 x 10 oil on panel of Twine.

...or so the saying goes. Never is that more true than in breeding horses.  Look at California Chrome - by nothing out of nothing, as another saying goes, and he came two lengths shy of winning the American Triple Crown.

If you've been following this blog, you'll know that the last of the broodmares, Jubie (now Rae) went on to a new career this spring.  Last October I sent Twine to a new home, where she was to be part of a Paint horse breeding program. A year ago (June 16, to be exact) we lost Viv to colic.  So this spring has been a little melancholy; the end of an era, so to speak.

Firstborn, Gracie! 2008
Then not long after Jubie went to her new home, I ended up taking Twine back – the new situation just wasn't agreeing with her. She wasn't in terrible shape or anything, just not her usual robust self.  I started taking care of all the things to get her right again - deworming, teeth floating, getting her back on my feed program.  I figured when she'd settled in again, I'd put the tack on her and see about turning her into a riding horse. I took her back of my own accord, not expecting my client to re-assume ownership, as she was going through some tough times with the loss of her husband (the other half of my much-appreciated husband-wife client team).  I did mention it to her (well, when she came to visit, I had to explain Twine's presence), and then I was very appreciative when she said she would resume the monetary side of Twine's care.  If you haven't heard me say it before, I have an amazing client.  :-) I was surprised when shortly after she asked, "Should we breed her?"

Always a good mother - Zippy, 2012 baby.

Long story short, that ended up happening.  She was in poor shape reproductively, but thanks to my awesome vet, and a couple of sessions with my Equi-Bow practitioner, Twine overcame her issues and caught on the first cover.  I think both the vet and I were surprised, but hey, we'll take it.  So far she's had successful 15day (confirmed in foal), 30 day (heartbeat!) and 48 day checks (vet is predicting a filly).  Next one is at 150 days.  Still a long way to go, but hey, so far so good, and, God willing, next spring in late March or early April, we'll have an unplanned-planned baby bouncing around.

One last hurrah?  2018 Oaks winner, anyone?  :-)  Dream big, or go home, right?

1 comment:

Elizabeth McCrindle said...

Not on Facebook as much so must have missed that Twine was back with you. By the sounds of it she was missing where she calls home and is glad to be back....smile!